• One champion dunker will be selected in each of the eight Slam Dunk Showdown cities, winning $1000 and other great prizes
• Two champions will be selected via the online video submission contest
• LeBron James will be one of the judges that will select the two online video submission winners
• Of the ten total champions, the public will vote for their favorites and the top four dunkers will be sent to the 2010 NBA All-Star Weekend in Dallas to compete for the $10,000 Grand Prize and the opportunity to be involved on the Saturday night NBA Slam Dunk Contest
• VIP Access: This is the added bonus. The four finalists will get seats to both the 2010 NBA All-Star Game and The NBA Slam Dunk Contest, and inside access to players and legends
• Schwag: The 40 dunk contestants who participate in the Showdown events in each market will receive authentic jerseys, shorts and adidas basketball shoes
• This is an official NBA Sprite sponsored event, and LeBron James certified, which means the best of the best will be attracted to compete. The stakes are high.
• Fan Votes Count. Voting via SMS at the events and online votes for the final round to determine the four champions that will go to Dallas keeps this fan-focused and ultimately fan-crowned.
• 8 opportunities to see the best dunkers live
• Interaction with other fans via Facebook and Twitter (we’re currently setting these communities up. Links to come later)
Ways You Can Participate
1. For Dunkers - Slam Dunk Showdown Events – We are hosting 8 Sprite Slam Dunk Showdowns and will be crowning the best dunker in each city. Each dunker will receive an adidas jersey, shorts and shoes. The top dunker in each city will receive $1,000, a Flip Video Camera and be eligible to win the Grand Prize. Second place dunker will receive $500. Here’s the schedule:
Atlanta, GA: May 8-10 at Sweet Auburn Springfest
Los Angeles, CA: May 16-17 at Universal Studios Hollywood CityWalk
San Francisco, CA: May 23-24 at Carnaval
Portland, OR: May 30-31 at Portland Rose Festival
New York, NY: June 20-21 at South Street Seaport
Washington, DC: June 27-28 at Safeway National Capital Barbecue Battle
Chicago, IL or Philadelphia, PA: TBD
Dallas, TX: July 10-12 at Taste of Dallas
2. For Dunk and Basketball Fans - Admission to the events are FREE. Fans in attendance can vote via mobile text for the best dunker. Other attractions include NBA Nation tour events.
Online Video Submissions and Voting
1. Online Video Submissions – Beginning this month, those who can’t make the events (or dunkers who didn’t win in their city), can upload a video of their dunk at nba.com/dunk.
2. LeBron James – Yes, LeBron will personally select the two top dunkers from the top fan-rated videos
3. Fans Vote – Fans vote online for their favorite dunkers once the 10 finalists are chosen.